Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Opportunity that took 22 years to develop

BFO Extract from Tom Mccarthy

3 keys to creating opportunities in your life? Although

1. Very rarely, will you generate your biggest opportunities on your own. My biggest opportunities have almost always come from referrals or introductions from other people who I have befriended or helped over the years.
2. Cultivate a big network of fascinating and successful people. Although I was very shy growing up, I have learned to love meeting people. I talk to people wherever I go. Not because I think that every person I meet is going to lead to some business opportunity, but because it’s fun! I have met presidents of countries, work with Fortune 50 CEO’s, famous athletes and entertainers, but I’ve also learned a lot from taxi drivers and hotel housekeepers. Be outgoing and friendly to everybody!
3. Stay in touch and add value to your network. Don’t look at your network as a vehicle for you to be more successful. No one wants to help someone who only thinks about themselves. You’ve got to get to know the people who are in your network better. Know what they are interested in, what their business is, what their family situation is. And then stay in touch and ad value. Help them get what they need. I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but If you help enough other people get what they want then you will have more opportunities than you know what to do with.

No comments: